Tag Archives: gluten free snacks

Blueberry Cashew Butter Energy Balls + 5 Of My Favorite Vegan, Gluten Free Energy Bite Recipes

When it comes to my eating patterns, I’m definitely more of small meals & snacks kinda girl. I like to eat every 3-4 hours, and feel like my body operates best this way.

If I eat a big meal, my belly feels heavy and too full, but when I eat smaller meals & snacks throughout the day, I feel great. Because of this, I always have lots of snacks around: in my purse, gym bag, car and obviously my pantry. Having healthy snacks around is the key to me not getting hangry!

One of my favorite kind of snacks is energy balls. I like to whip up a batch during the weekend to have on hand throughout the week. But since I get bored easily, I like to switch up my energy bite combos & am constantly coming up with new kinds. My latest energy ball creation are these Blueberry Cashew Energy Bites.

Made with rolled oats, cashew butter, raw cashews, hemp hearts, dried blueberries, and honey, they’re the perfect little snack full of healthy fats, carbs and protein.

{Note: Maple syrup, agave, or brown rice syrup can be substituted for honey to make them vegan.}

These blueberry cashew energy bites are my latest creation published on Shape. Get the recipe here!

And since I’m constantly making energy balls for my snacking pleasure, I’m also sharing 5 other kinds of energy bites that I love today. Check em out!

Chunky Monkey Protein Bites. Because banana + peanut butter + chocolate = the best combo ever!

Continue reading

Peppermint Chocolate Chip Snack Bites {vegan + gluten free}

Earlier this week, I sent out a health coaching newsletter with tips to avoid holiday weight gain (you can subscribe via the signup form on the right sidebar! –>), and one of my guidelines is to implement an 80/20 diet balance.

chocolate-peppermint-snack-bites-4

I’ve talked about this concept before, but it’s the idea that 80% of your calories are from nutritious, healthy choices, and for the other 20%, you enjoy whatever indulgences you’re in the mood for. I apply this to my diet not only during the holiday season but year-round, because I believe that moderation is what works in the long haul for a healthy, sustainable relationship with food… which brings me to today’s recipe!

chocolate-peppermint-snack-bites-square

We all know that December is ripe with food and drink indulgences. I adore baking Christmas cookies and drinking seasonal drinks like spiked warm cider, but I also balance those treats out with healthy, light meals and a very active lifestyle.

chocolate-peppermint-snack-bites-8

One way that I balance out my sweet tooth is whipping up recipes that are healthy and clean, but taste like dessert. I think that many of you frequent blog readers know that this is one of my specialties! Today’s recipe is a good example of this.

chocolate-peppermint-snack-bites-2b

Made with oats, dates, hemp hearts, and cocoa, these snack balls give you a taste of peppermint cookie goodness while being healthy, vegan and gluten + refined sugar free.   Continue reading