Greetings from the Sunshine State! This week I’m in Marco Island, Florida for my father-in-law’s wedding (which is happening today!). Have you ever been to Marco Island? I’ve been to Florida many times and even lived here briefly, but it’s my first time being on Marco Island.
When I’m getting ready for a trip, I always make sure to pack some healthy snacks in my carry-on bag. Being a healthy vegetarian eater, I can’t rely on there to always be food options around that I’m happy with. Some airports/flights have pretty decent options, and other have a horrible selection – I just never know. By packing some healthy snacks, like protein and granola bars, apple chips & pretzels, I know that I’ll always have something to hold me over.
Another snack that I like packing for trips is energy bites. They’re great for a little something on the move, and if I’m getting in an early workout wherever I am, an energy bite or two is a perfect little meal to have on hand.
Last year I shared a recipe for peppermint chocolate chip bites, so this year I thought it’d be fitting to share another holiday-ish bite recipe.
These snickerdoodle protein balls require just a handful of ingredients: We’ve got a base of raw almonds, then we add in plant-based vanilla protein powder, dates, hemp hearts, a bit of water, salt, cinnamon and vanilla.
Lastly, we roll the balls in a bit of cinnamon + sugar for good measure. This step is optional, but it really gives it a snickerdoodle-y feel.
These balls are a healthy way to get a bit of a holiday cookie fix if you’ve already OD-ed on too many peanut butter blossoms – which by the way, I made with my cousins last weekend, and they are definitely in my top 5 Christmas cookie list. So good!
If you’re looking for an actual snickerdoodle cookie recipe, check out my latest recipe at Shape! Made with whole wheat + almond flours, Greek yogurt, and maple syrup, they’re a healthy take on classic snickerdoodles.
- ½ cup raw almonds
- ¾ cup California pitted dates
- 28g of plant-based vanilla protein powder
- 2 TBSP hemp hearts
- 1 TBSP water, plus more as needed
- 2 TSP cinnamon, divided
- 1 TSP vanilla extract
- ½ TBSP cane sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Pulse almonds in a food processor until mostly ground.
- Add in the dates, protein powder, hemp hearts, 1 TSP of cinnamon, vanilla, salt, and the 1 TBSP of water. Process until it forms a mixture that's mostly ground. It should be crumbly, but easy to roll into balls. If it's too crumbly, add a bit more water into the mix and process for a few seconds.
- Roll the mixture into 10 balls.
- On a small plate, mix together the remaining cinnamon and cane sugar.
- Roll each bite into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Store in an airtight container.
Tell me… What are you snacking on lately? Are you home for the holidays or are you traveling?
I’m flying out of Florida this weekend and heading up to NJ for Christmas with my family!