Can you guys believe that we’re in the last full week of August?
I’m starting to get a twinge of excitement for all things autumn – including everything pumpkin, weather that’s a bit cooler, and football season getting underway. I have my Fantasy Football draft in a couple weeks, and I just love spending weekend mornings at home watching games.
And I miss going on longer hikes with my pup! In the summertime it’s too toasty for my furry friend to go on any inland hikes, so I’ll be happy to head back to our favorite spots and discover a few new ones in a month or two.
BUT I also don’t like to get ahead of myself and try to enjoy what’s happening now, so I’m enjoying the summer summer summertimeeeee. I’ve been doing beach yoga, this weekend I’m going paddle boarding, and I’ve been noshing on all of the wonderful summertime produce as much as I can. This most certainly includes blueberries!
Oh blueberries, you are such a great fruit to have around. I can throw you on top of my cereal or yogurt, toss you into my smoothies and smoothie bowls, and fold you into my pancake batters.
I also love throwing blueberries into muffins, hence today’s recipe. I’m taking a twist on classic blueberry muffins and adding a yummy oat pistachio crumb topping!
Plus, these babies include some healthy baking swaps: whole wheat flour instead of white (you can also use gluten free if you wish), honey instead of refined sugar, coconut oil and apple sauce instead of butter and/or vegetable oil.
I hope that you try making these babies while domestic blueberries are still awesome in all of their summertime glory!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ⅔ cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup + 1 TBSP honey (maple syrup works too)
- ⅔ cup natural apple sauce
- ⅓ cup chopped pistachios
- ⅓ cup dry oats
- 2 TBSP coconut oil, melted and divided into two
- ½ TSP cinnamon, divided in half
- 2 TBSP almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 TSP vanilla extract
- 1 TSP baking powder
- ¼ TSP sea salt + a pinch for the topping
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, sea salt, cinnamon and baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk together 1 TBSP of the melted coconut oil, almond milk, apple sauce, vanilla extract, and ½ cup of honey.
- Combine the wet and dry mixtures, mixing with a wooden spoon until evenly combined. Fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin cups. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the pistachio topping by combining the chopped pistachios, dry oats, remaining 1 TBSP of melted coconut oil, remaining 1 TBSP honey, and remaining ¼ TSP cinnamon, along with a pinch of sea salt.
- Remove the muffins from the oven after 10 minutes of baking. Spoon the pistachio crumb topping onto the muffins, gently pushing into the muffins. Bake for another 12-15 minutes until the batter comes out clean with a toothpick in the center of the muffins.
- Allow to slightly cool before enjoying.
Tell me… What’s your current favorite fruit? What are you enjoying most about summertime right now?