Since I arrived in Jersey over a week ago, my diet has included way more of these…
And NONE of these:
I miss my usual daily smoothie, but I’m too chilly to eat them here! Good thing the soups I’ve been eating have been yummy.
Though I haven’t been able to experiment too much in the kitchen lately, one night last week my mom and I had the chance to come up with a new recipe together. She had mistakenly bought collared greens instead of kale, so we sought to figure out what we could do with it….
I had never played around with collared greens before, so I searched the Web for some meal inspiration. I got a basic understanding of collared greens and the flavors that seemed to be paired with it often. This is the yummy dish we wound up with:
- 1 bunch of collared greens, center ribs removed and roughly chopped
- 1 lb of farfalle, or other short shaped pasta
- ½ cup white cooking wine
- 1 TSP of lemon zest
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 6 oz can of mushrooms pieces and stems
- ¼ onion, minced
- 2 TBSP [light] butter
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, plus another ¼ cup for garnish
- Salt & pepper
- Cook pasta according to directions. Once cooked, reserve ½ cup of the pasta water when draining.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add minced onion, and cook until lightly browned. Add cooking wine, and cook for around 5 minutes. The wine will dissolve a good amount.
- Add the collared greens, and let it cook until wilted and tender. Add the mushroom pieces, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 3-5 more minutes.
- Combine the pasta with the collared greens mixture. Add in the lemon zest, butter, and ¼ cup of parmesan cheese, and mix well to combine. Add in pasta water bit by bit and mix until you achieve the desired sauce consistency. Season with salt and pepper again if desired.
- Spoon pasta into bowls, and sprinkle extra parm on top of each. Enjoy hot!
On another note, tomorrow my grandma is undergoing a Whipple procedure to remove the tumor near her pancreas. My family and I are all hanging in there, trying to think positively and just hoping that she does well. I’ll probably be practicing a lot of meditation and breathing exercises tomorrow to try to keep calm. It’s been so hard the past few weeks, and all I want is for her to get better. So tomorrow, please send any positive energy my way that you can!!